Pharmacists, through their direct contact with the patient, exert a work essential in promoting public health and health education. Patients who are well informed and are included in educational initiatives, follow a healthy lifestyle, better meet drug treatments, reduces the risk of problems associated with them, present fewer hospital readmissions and, in general, considerably improve their quality of life.
Pharmacy and health space
The General Council of Provincial Pharmacy Chambers assumes as one of its main objectives the promotion of health and prevention of disease, as well as health education for the population. In this sense, from the year 2012 to 2015, the General Council, in collaboration with the Provincial Pharmacy Chambers, has carried out successfully 124 health campaigns, addressing topics such as:
- Rational drug use: prevention of medicine errors by phonetic and orthographic similarity, rationalization of the use of antibiotics, vaccines, medicinal plants, as well as multiple actions focused on pharmacy health care within the framework of the "care-pharmaceutical Strategic Plan" and the "HazFarma" project.
- Concrete actions on health issues: flu and cold, allergy, cancer, digestive disorders, smoking, hypertension, COPD, allergies, overweight, insomnia, among many others.
- Nutrition: through the project PLENUFAR ("Plan of nutritional education by the pharmacist"), with specific actions on the child population, housewives House, pregnancy, lactation, menopause and old age.
- Dermopharmacy: photoprotection, atopy, lice infestation and oral hygiene, etc.
- Drug addiction and AIDS: at the level of prevention, early diagnosis and help for the addiction.
- Visual health: Presbyopia, glaucoma, AMD, etc.
- Other: donation of bone marrow, road safety, campaigns against the gender violence, doping, etc.
These initiatives, which usually have a wide participation of pharmacists, show commitment to the pharmaceutical profession with public health and society, providing added value to the work of the pharmacist.
The development of these health initiatives the General Council collaborates occasionally with different health institutions, such as the Ministry of health, associations of patients and with institutions and laboratories that contribute to these projects.
Pharmacy and health space
Pharmaceutical advice in public health
The General Council makes available to pharmacists professional information about health topics.
From the community pharmacy, you can perform functions epidemiological and public health very relevant, focused mainly in the detection of possible cases and providing rigorous information about a particular disease and its prevention or treatment.
The content of this page has been translated by an automatic process (Microsoft Translator API ®) and, although it has been reviewed by the General Pharmaceutical Council of Spain, it could contain some vocabulary, grammar or syntax errors.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.