Pharmacists, because of their direct contact with the patient, exercise essential work in promoting public health and health education. Patients who are well-informed and included in educational initiatives follow a healthier lifestyle, better fulfill pharmacological treatments, reduce the risk of problems associated with them, have fewer readmissions and generally improve their quality of life considerably.
Pharmacy and Health Area
The General Council of Official Colleges of Pharmacists assumes as one of its fundamental objectives the promotion of the health and prevention of the disease, as well as the health education to the population. In this sense, from the year 2012 to 2015, the General Council, in collaboration with the Official Colleges of Pharmacists, has successfully carried out 124 health campaigns, which addressed topics such as:
- Rational use of medicines: Prevention of medicine errors due to phonetic and orthographic similarities, rationalization of the use of antibiotics, medicinal plants, vaccines, as well as multiple actions focusing on healthcare pharmacy in the Framework of the "Strategic Plan of Pharmaceutical Care" and of the project "HazFarma".
- Specific actions on health problems: flu and cold, allergy, cancer, digestive disorders, smoking, HYPERTENSION, COPD, allergies, overweight, insomnia, among many others.
- Nutrition: THROUGH the PLENUFAR project ("Nutritional Education Plan By The pharmacist"), with specific actions on the child population, housewives, pregnancy, lactation, menopause and elderly.
- dermopharmacy: photoprotection, atopy, oral hygiene and lice infestation, etc.
- Drug Addiction AND AIDS: at the level of prevention, early diagnosis and aid for the cessation.
- Visual Health: Presbyopia, glaucoma, AMD, etc.
- others: bone marrow donation, road safety, campaigns against gender-based violence, doping, etc.
These initiatives, which often have a wide participation of pharmacists, show the commitment of the Pharmaceutical Profession to public Health and society, providing added value to the work of the pharmacist.
For the development of these health initiatives the General Council collaborates at times with different sanitary institutions, like the Ministry of Health, associations of patients and with entities and laboratories that contribute to start up these Projects.
Pharmacy and Health Area
Pharmaceutical Advice in public health
The General Council makes available to pharmacists professional information on topical health issues.
From the community pharmacy, very relevant epidemiological and public health functions can be carried out, focusing mainly on the detection of possible cases and on the provision of rigorous information on a specific disease and its prevention or Treatment.
NEW: Multi-Batch Withdrawal Alert VALSARTAN
The content of this page has been translated by an automatic process (Microsoft Translator API ®) and, although it has been reviewed by the General Pharmaceutical Council of Spain, it could contain some vocabulary, grammar or syntax errors.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.