Pharmacists, through their direct contact with the patient, play an essential role in the promotion of public health and health education. Patients who are well-informed and included in educational initiatives follow a healthier lifestyle, better meet drug treatments, reduce the risk of problems associated with them, have fewer readmissions and generally significantly improve their quality of life.
Pharmacy and health space
The General Council of Official Colleges of Pharmacists assumes as one of its fundamental objectives the promotion of health and prevention of the disease, as well as health education for the population. In this sense, from 2012 to 2015, the General Council, in collaboration with the Official Colleges of Pharmacists, has successfully carried out 124 health campaigns, addressing topics such as:
- Rational use of medicines: prevention of medicine errors due to phonetic and orthographic similarity, rationalization of the use of antibiotics, medicinal plants, vaccines, as well as multiple actions focused on healthcare pharmacy in the "Strategic Pharmaceutical Care Plan" and the "HazFarma" project.
- Specific actions on health problems: flu and cold, allergy, cancer, digestive disorders, smoking, hypertension, COPD, allergies, overweight, insomnia, among many others.
- Nutrition: through the PLENUFAR ("Pharmaceutical Nutrition Education Plan") project, with specific actions on children, housewives, pregnancy, breastfeeding, menopause and seniors.
- Dermopharmacy: photoprotection, atopia, oral hygiene and lice infestation, etc.
- Drug dependence and AIDS: at the level of prevention, early diagnosis and aid for disinhabitation.
- Visual Health: Presbyopia, glaucoma, DMAE, etc.
- Others: bone marrow donation, road safety, campaigns against gender-based violence, doping, etc.
These initiatives, which usually have a wide participation of pharmacists, show the commitment of the Pharmaceutical Profession to public health and society, adding value to the work of the pharmacist.
For the development of these health initiatives, the General Council sometimes collaborates with different health institutions, such as the Ministry of Health, patient associations and with entities and laboratories that help to launch these Projects.
Pharmacy and health space
Pharmaceutical advice in public health
The General Council provides pharmaceuticals with professional information on current health issues.
From the community pharmacy, very relevant epidemiological and public health functions can be carried out, focusing mainly on the detection of possible cases and the provision of rigorous information on a particular disease and its prevention or Treatment.
NEW: ValSARTAN Multi-Batch Recall Alert
The content of this page has been translated by an automatic process (Microsoft Translator API ®) and, although it has been reviewed by the General Pharmaceutical Council of Spain, it could contain some vocabulary, grammar or syntax errors.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.